Friday, December 01, 2006

The best surprise of all

There are a few things that I miss about the U.S. Here they are below:

1. Krispy Kreme
2. Ben and Jerry’s
3. Cheesecake Factory
4. Victoria’s Secret undies (low rise rocks!)
5. Bath and Body Works
6. Massive choices for anything organic

Now, my love for anything organic is just an offshoot of my dread of anything with MSG. Anyone who knows me knows how much I hate that stuff even before I got pregnant. I remember when we were still at Philam Life finding a place to eat on the 9th floor, Bambi (a former officemate of mine who was also pregnant at that time) asked the food server at Dacar: “Miss, may MSG ba pagkain nyo?” the food server proudly replied: “ Ma’m, lahat po ng pagkain namin may MSG”. What a way to get customers. At least she told the truth.

Going back to number 6 on the list, we do have Healthy Options here in Manila (even though it is a tad bit pricey) but nonetheless, I’m contented with knowing I have somewhere else to go. I also buy Rafe’s baby food here since they don’t have added sugar unlike Nestle or Gerber. As a mom, that's how OC I tend to get. Even his laundry detergent and bottle cleanser is organic!

As for number 4 and 5, I’m extremely glad I have lots of friends who go back and forth to the U.S. (one of the perks I guess for working in a call center) so it’s so easy for me to ask them for pasalubong.

Number 3, surprisingly enough (for those of you who don’t already know) is available at S and R for a whooping P1, 500 a box! Hmm, I can still control my craving, thank you very much.

Ah, the wonderful Ben and Jerry’s can be bought at Rustan’s Supermarket (which is now managed by Shopwise) so if I have cash to spare and want a little treat, I just get a pint and share it with B who loves it as well!

And now for the main highlight of all… I’ve been hearing rumors about the arrival of these donuts since 2003. I even remember a time a former officemate of mine bought me a half dozen box from a hotel in Las Vegas, went to Manila to change and then went to Cebu to give it to me! It was gone in seconds. Mind you, they were frozen and placed in a zip lock bag to preserve whatever freshness it had left.

But now, I’m just so happy they’re finally here. No more day old donuts! Aren’t they beautiful? And the greatest thing of all is that I didn’t have to wait in line for 2 hours just to buy them! So thanks to my sister and my mom for satisfying my need for sugar rush!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home